Skip to main content

Toe woes

Have I mentioned I have a toe-a-noma? OK I'll admit that would be an exaggeration. What I have is a funky toenail. It all started a couple of years ago when I bruised it running. After that, I somehow managed to stub it pretty badly once or twice. Then Doc, the wonder dog, stepped on it before it had the chance to heal. The end result was a toenail that rebelled. A year or so ago it began to grow funny. It separated from my toe, developing a very high, vertical ridge in the middle. It was as though two continents, in the form of the two sides of my toenail, collided and formed the Himalayas upon my largest left digit. It became thick and looked a little gnarly. All that trauma apparently made it susceptible to (yikes!) a fungus! Can you imagine? Fungus growing here, in the rain forest? On MY toe? Anywho, I finally broke down and went to see a foot doctor. He confirmed a mild fungal infection and said I had two options. One was to take an oral medication called Lamisil (That's the Registered Trademark name. Gotta say that. Old journalist's habits die hard). He said the drug is very effective, but can lead to liver damage. Hmmmmm..... let's see. I can live with a funky toenail hosting a non-life-threatening fungus or I can take a pill that will kill the fungus but may permanently damage my liver. Now, the last time I checked, the liver was considered a must-have organ. So let's see.... ugly toenail or damaged liver? Ugly toenail or damaged liver? Does anybody actually take this drug?
He gave me a another option. There's a topical prescription treatment that's been proven quite effective and has no damaging side effects. That sounded like good news to me. The bad news is that it's new, there's no generic version and insurance doesn't cover it. (Insurance will, however, cover the stuff that messes with your liver. Go figure.) And there's worse news: it costs $200 for a tiny bottle of the stuff. So there I was again, pondering..... Two hundred dollars or an ugly toenail? Two hundred dollars or an ugly toenail? I'm not so vein as to damage my internal organs for the sake of pretty feet. I am, however, vein enough to fork over $200 bucks to do so. Actually, I've found the drug at half price in Canada. Not that I would ever order it from there. That would be illegal.
Today, I began cleaning the second half of my living-room/kitchen ceiling in preparation for painting it. I say living room/kitchen because it's really all one big room. Make that one small room. It's really hot up there, at the top of an eight foot ladder. There were spider webs. Spiders, too. Plenty of mold and mildew stains made the scrubbing arduous. (How's that for a GRE word?) Actually, I don't know what it was, because I don't really know the difference between mold and mildew. So it might have been mold. It might have been mildew. Let's just say it was mold and mildew so we're covered, 'kay? Now, it looks so clean and white it doesn't seem to need painting. I'll paint it anyway.
Yes, my life has become dominated by fungus in many forms. There's algae growing on the house and the driveway. I guess algae isn't technically fungus. Or is it? The battle of the mold and mildew is constant. The toenail has succumbed. Poor Crawford (that's her above) even had a case of ring worm a couple of months ago that required fungicidal ointment. We bought some locally grown mushrooms at Costco (again, registered trademark) yesterday. What will be next? When will it all end? Ah the madness!
What did the girl mushroom say to the boy mushroom? Gee you're a fun-gi!
A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.