Skip to main content

Winery woes

On Tuesday, I was asked at the winery if I would mind a schedule change.
"Could I," they asked," work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday rather than Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday?"
"Sure," I said. "That's no problem."
"Great," they said. "That would help us out a lot." They said they'd let me know when the schedule change would take effect.
Today, just two days later, after extensive deliberations among the "managers" I was pulled aside and told that, due to the financial situation at the winery, all part timers would be restricted to two days per week. My days would be reduced to Tuesday and Thursday only.
Gee? I wonder why that is? Maybe because three days bumps an employee up to enough hours to qualify for health care coverage? Ironically, I am the only part timer who's been working that much, so I am the only one who loses that coverage. I've only had the coverage for one month so I guess it's no great loss. I've qualified for coverage since I started working there, but nobody in "management" bothered to tell me. I learned about the Hawaii state law mandating coverage after talking to my neighbor. It all makes me pine for a nice, big, corporate human resources department.
"We hope that's OK?" The manager shyly says and sort of asks at the same time, as though I actually have a choice, which of course, I don't.
At least now I have Saturdays off, which is when all the fun festivals and events seem to take place on the island. So now I can go.
Today at our staff meeting, we were reminded that we are entitled to a half hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks during our 8 hour shifts. We were encouraged to take them and to let others know when we're taking them. Yeah right. "There may be times when you don't get your full break and you are called back out into the tasting room. You'll just have to take the rest of your break later." Again, yeah right. Today, just on principle, I actually took an entire half hour for lunch. I think it's the third time since January that I've done that. My co-worker, however, didn't get so lucky. About half way through her mac and cheese, two vans pulled in. Breaks? Fuggetabout it. I feel lucky if I get to pee when I need to on any given day.
Don't get me wrong. Despite the hustle required for peanuts, I really enjoy working at the winery.
Still, I'm holding out hope for a writing gig. And then there's that crazy LSAT I keep practicing. I've ordered a few more study books with test taking tips I hope will help me to increase my score. My practice scores have not been impressive and have not been improving.
It's been pretty hot the past few days, though I hesitate to complain with what I've seen on the national news about heat waves and flooding and fires on the mainland.
On a lighter note, today, a cute, blond Aussie girl from Perth came into the winery sporting a t-shirt that read, "I had a nightmare that I was a brunette."
Also funny today was a cute-but-naughty little girl left unsupervised by her wine swilling parents. She looked to be about 4 or 5 years old. The place was packed, with people lined up at both bars and a line of would-be purchasers. I was womaning the cash register, just finishing up a string of transactions when I noticed her over near the coffee. We keep a pump pot of complimentary java for our patrons. The little girl had flipped open the pour spout on the sugar container. She was licking a stir stick, then dipping it into the sugar. Yummy! Pretty smart, really, but also disgusting. Our eyes met. Busted! "Don't dip that in there again," I said to her in a none-too-threatening way that still managed to get her to stop. I dumped the sugar and started with a fresh container full once she was on her merry way.
This little girl was actually quite sweet and very cute. She was quiet and well behaved other that clandestine sugar tasting operation of hers. Most of the kids who come in are pretty good. But there are kids who are unruly, running around the retail store, pulling the plastic grapes off the displays, trying to turn the antique wine press into a jungle gym. Their parents don't seem to notice them at all. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe that's why they feel compelled to act like barbarians. They're trying to get their idiot parents' attention. There are plenty of breakables in the store and screaming kids make it tough for adults at the wine bar to hear what we're saying about the wine. When did it become OK for children to be disruptive and run amuck in public places with no supervision? I don't get to do that. Why do they? I must be just an old fuddy duddy.
A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.