Skip to main content

Lava, pigs, tourists and sea monsters


The lava has returned to Pu'u O'o on Kilauea. It's not flowing to the ocean, but it can be seen in the crater. Click here to see the lava live via the USGS Live Webcam.
If you log on after dark (that's after dark in Hawaii, of course) you can really see the ribbons of lava.

We’ve gotten a bit jumpy here in the rainforest. Now, every time a dog barks, Ron shouts, “Is it pigs? Is it pigs?” Oddly, it never is. Or maybe it is, but by the time we go out to look, they're gone. I’ve been seeing tell-tale signs of the pigs around the neighborhood. They leave strange trails where they’ve rooted up the ground along the sides of the roadway in search of worms, roots and grubs. They've returned to the yard, too. The other night, I took a stroll down the driveway in the dark with a flashlight. I was listening for coquis. The battery in my light failing and the light was dimming. As I listened to the frogs chirping, “co-QUI, co-QUI,” I heard a “snorty snorty snort" in the bushes to my right. I swung the flashlight in that direction. Nothing. I didn’t see them, but I knew they were there. I heard them. I could sense them. Haley Joel Osmond may sees dead people. I feel live swine.

The winery has been slammin’ busy lately. Today was no exception. The dollars don't always reflect the frenzy of visitors. People are coming, tasting, chatting and buying stuff. They’re just buying a lot more stuff on some days than others. Today's sales were respectable. Tuesday, however, were weak, despite the fact that we worked our okole's off, running around like lunatics. Unfortunately, it takes me just about the same amount of time to sell a single bottle of wine as it does to sell a case. I’m just hopeful that the “decision makers” don’t use the dollars as their only factor in deciding whether to cut hours. It’s already tough enough to get through the day with three people. Four is always better. We actually get to take a 20 minute lunch break when there are four of us. But three? It’s two minutes here, three here, five there if you’re lucky. And if just two people are working any given day? Fugettaboutit. Five minutes off your feet, tops. Gotta pee? Sorry. No time. Even my high arches are hard pressed to resist flattening after that much time on my feet. The stressful competition of law school is appealing to me more with each shift.

Ah, but the tips make all the hard work worth while. I raked in two buckaroos cash under the table today. Woohoo!

That said, it is fun to chat with visitors who come from all over the world. I poured a tasting for a guy the other day with a NY Yankees world series ring on his finger. He works for George Steinbrenner and is on the ball club’s administrative staff. That ring was way cool. One woman last week told me she does clinical trials for cancer drugs. A guy from Honolulu is a lawyer for a non-profit that fights for native Hawaiian rights and takes on their cases in court. Pretty noble. Today, I encouraged a seven year old from North Pole, Alaska to sign our guest book.

Scientists have discovered a new sea creature they've dubbed the octosquid. It appears to be a cross between an octopus and a squid. I wonder why they call it the octosquid and not the squidopus. OK. I guess I really don't wonder.

A hui hou. Aloha!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit