Skip to main content

It's my birthday, fixed my bumper, new tail lights....

It's not really my birthday anymore. That was yesterday. I had fully intended to log on last night to tell you all about it, but a) it wasn't all that eventful and b) I ate so much for dinner last night that once we arrived back home, it wasn't long before I was zonked.
Dinner was lovely. We at at Kilauea Lodge.



I think it's one of the best restaurants on the island. It broke da bank and broke the mout'! The soup was a delicious puree of peas, cabbage, cream and curry. It had a name, but I can't pronounce it. For our main course we had Duck l'orange and Seafood Mauna Kea. The seafood dish was scallops, shrimp, fish and calamari with an assortment of veggies, topped with a sauce of creme fraiche, on pasta. The appetizer was to die for; coconut crusted, fried brie served with fruit salsa and fresh bread. And the dessert? Onolicious. A custard with raspberry sauce topping. It was all good. The lodge is so cozy, with a big fireplace, vaulted ceiling and koa wood tables. The best part? It's only a 10 minute drive from home!
I hit the gym yesterday after being pretty lazy for the past two weeks. Today, I'm sore. After last night's meal, I should really return for another workout today.
Monday night I attended a Tea Society presentation with guest speaker Roy Fong. He is the founder and proprietor of San Fransisco's imperial tea court, the first traditional tea house in America. Mr. Fong taught us proper tea brewing using the gong fu (kung fu) method of infusing the leaves with water in a gaiwan. A gaiwan is a simple ceramic bowl with a saucer and a lid. It's a ritualistic approach to tea brewing, not completely unlike traditional Japanese tea ceremony. For the Chinese, tea is not just a beverage. It is seen as central to physical and social well being. Tea is an integral part of Chinese culture.
Fong also gave us a little history lesson on the processing and drinking of tea in China. We in the west are used to hearing the term kung fu in relation to martial arts. It can be used to refer to anything that requires or inspires extra effort, extra work, something worthy of striving. The presentation was interesting and educational. Plus, they served free pupus. You can't beat that. I'm pretty sure that had something to do with the high turnout for the event.
I have a bad news good news story to share. The day I took Doc to the vet for his shots and a checkup a couple of weeks ago, I saw my up-the-road neighbor there. With her was a sad little puppy in a carrier. "I found her at the dump," she said. The poor little pup was emaciated and so weak she could barely keep her head up. The neighbor said when she found her, she seemed nearly lifeless. This puppy was a beautiful little short-haired shepherd mix of some sort, with mixed coloring and long legs. It's hard to believe that someone would just dump her there. That happens here often. So the neighbor brought the puppy to the vet with the hope that they could help nurse her back to health. They found that the poor little girl was much older than she looked (anywhere from six-nine months vs. three), was extremely dehydrated, malnourished and riddled with worms. They were concerned that she might have severe liver damage. All they and the neighbor could do was wait and see.
Two weeks or so passed and I ran into that neighbor at the tea presentation. I asked about the puppy, a little afraid of what I would hear.
"She made it!" beamed the neighbor. "You wouldn't even know she's the same dog. I think she's almost doubled in size since I found her." She said her pack (two crazy, over-the-top energetic border collies and a mellow, shaggy chow/shepherd something-or-other) had immediately accepted the new girl. They named her Ipo, which is an abbreviated word for sweetheart in Hawaiian.
So while the puppy story started out sad, it had a happy ending. I like that.
A hui hou. Aloha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.