Skip to main content

Do-o-o-orm livin' is the life for me....


Here I sit in the West Residence Hall at the University of Alaska Anchorage.  Rainforest blog, you say?  Well, a girl's gotta get off the rock sometimes.  I guess I've been off the rock more times in the past few years than most get off in a lifetime.  Hey...it's kept me sane.

After just over a day in the beautiful city of Seattle with my most fantastic of friends Gail and Janine, I found my way through the air to the last frontier.  We had a short but pleasant visit in Seattle.  Janine is training to hike Mt. Whitney so we walked.  And walked.  And walked some more.  As we walked after dinner on a quest to find the shore of Lake Union, we happened upon a Mexican restaurant.  It's not where we ate.  But the fact that we found it right when we did was truly a miracle.  I had eaten a few too many Ranier cherries at the Pike St. Market earlier that day and it was just then, at that very moment in time that they decided to kick and do their colon blowing thing.  So I just kept walking right on in to the restroom like I owned the joint. After a brief but dramatic bonding of my posterior to the porcelain, we were off and walking again.  We did find Lake Union and saw the sea planes.  We walked some more.  At one point along our journey we landed on bar stools at a place that serves 160 different beers on tap.  Like a dope, I decided to try the pear cider.  Sounds kinda good, right?  Well it wasn't even alcoholic and tasted not unlike 7-up.  Not bad, but not what I'd hoped for either.  Anyhow, it was a lovely day with the sun shining, hangin' with my pals for a short but sweet visit to the city.  I do dig Seattle.

Anchorage, on the other hand, is what I would call aesthetically challenged.  If not for the majestic mountains all around, it would be a tough sell.  Downtown is nice.  There are some cool shops and quaint watering holes.  The flowers are beautiful.  The colors here seem especially vibrant.  
Tonight, I met my professors and fellow torturees - a.k.a. MFA in creative writing students - for a lovely dinner and conversation.  What an eclectic group of creative thinkers.  They come from all over the country, although many now live here in Alaska.  This is going to be a cool experience.  No risk, no reward, right?  No guts, no glory.  If you don't jump off the cliff, you can never know what it's like to fly.  So here I am, trying to fly.  I'm going to learn how to make stuff up and then write it in such a way that someone else might actually want to read it.  

The dorms are far more secure than I remember way back when.  We have a card key that gets us into the building, then into our suite area shared by two rooms, then into our individual rooms.  Sheesh!  There's also a dorm monitor sitting behind the desk in the front lobby 24/7.  Times have changed.  The facility is fairly new and very clean.  Again, times have changed since I lived in a dorm.  This is much nicer although I will say my experience was better for building character and testing one's mettle.  Anywho, tomorrow's another day, although you'd never know that here in Alaska, since it never seems to get dark.  

I wore a maroon aloha shirt covered in tiny pineapples to dinner tonight.  Nobody else was sporting one of those.  

A hui hou.  Aloha! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.