Skip to main content

Rooster Scare

Ron and I took a quick trip to town for out third fleecing of the week by Hilo grocers.  We were out of TP and diesel for the convertible (aka the tractor) and needed tofu for the stir fry he wants to make tonight, so we loaded the trash and the reusable shopping bags into the car and headed for town.  Stopping at the Glenwood transfer station to unload the trunk of rubbish (no trash service here, folks) we proceeded on to an otherwise uneventful if hot, muggy and wallet-emptying sojourn.  Our highlight came in the form of a woman, older than Delaware, walking at the speed of frozen syrup, out of the store and along the sidewalk as we walked in.  She was wearing an orange and yellow flowered smock, black and white checkered capris and a floppy hat that seemed to weigh her head down on one side, cocking it to the left.  She passed us and was just far enough to be out of earshot when Ron said,  "Now that's an outfit." He leaned toward me as he said it, talking out of the side of his mouth like a bad ventriloquist, while at the exact same time I mumbled, "Nice ensemble, auntie."  Then, of course, we proceeded to giggle all the way into that arctic blast you get when you enter a grocery store in Hilo in August.

The KTA was packed, as ever, and we dawdled, as always, this time over the plethora of noodles in the vast asian food aisle - soba, udon, somen, chow funn - reading countries of origin on cans of clams (I found one from the USA).  We checked out the chirashi bowls in the sushi cooler but deciding to pass and get just a tiny tub of tako poke to nibble on instead.  I do miss those days when we didn't have to pick and choose based on price. Twenty dollar square of toro tuna?  No problem.  Two thick, local, grass-fed rib eye steaks?  Sounds perfect.  Chunk of smoked salmon, wild caught from Alaska?  Great. Sixpack of Mehana?  Who cares if it's 12 bucks?  Throw it all in the basket.  Sadly, those days are gone.  I did opt to pay 35 cents more for the Hilo-made tofu.  Hey, a girl's gotta have some standards.  

When we returned home, the place was uncomfortably quiet.  
"Where's Charlie?" Ron asked.
"Hmmm," I said.  "He's usually right here."  Ron walked around the outside of the house.  I did the same, expanding my search to a broader patch of green.  I found a few scattered feathers and a dead rat covered with flies, but no chicken.  Ron went to the lanai and shook the food bin we keep there.
"The cats finally got him," said Ron.
"I don't think so," I said.  "I mean, they chase him, but they never get him."
"Oh I don't know.  They get close.  Alvin chased him all the way down the driveway yesterday and he didn't stop until I caught up to him and chased him off."  Alvin is our cat. Now, I know there's no way Ron, running head to head with Alvin or any other cat chasing a chicken, could ever catch up, but I let it slide.  Plus, I like the image, arms flailing, feathers flying. 
"Still," I said, "I just don't think, I mean, roosters are pretty good at defending themselves.  And he's pretty big."
"Well that's what I was worried about," he said, "that Alvin would be the one to get hurt."
"So?"
"So, I think the cats got him."
"I don't know," I said.  I was in denial.
"I think he can protect himself from one cat," Ron said, "but two?  He doesn't stand a chance against two.  Or three."  I couldn't argue with that.
So the afternoon remained quiet, no breeze, no birds in the trees, no rooster.  I had this odd, melancholy feeling.   I missed that feathered, pea-brained idiot.  There was real sadness there as I pondered the prospect of his violent demise.  Ron went into the bedroom to take a nap and I did the same, on the couch where the fans blow almost hard enough to cool a woman of a particular age here in the tropics.  I dozed.  When I awoke, I felt no better.  I listened for a cockadoodle doo, a cluck cluck, something.  One of the cats sat in the window sill, batting a moth as it fluttered across the window, as if nothing otherwise had happened all day.  I rose to spot his two feline siblings torturing a tiny lizard on the living room rug.  They were smiling. 
"Jesus," I said, "you guys are relentless."  I went to check on Doc, the dog who, given a choice, would love nothing better than to burrow into a snowbank for his siesta.  I figured he had settled onto a cool spot on the driveway cement despite having two doggy beds and a rug out there.  I opened the door and there was Charlie, dear ol' Chuck, hangin' wit' his homeboy the Doctor Dog.  I can honestly say I've never felt so glad to see a stupid, pinheaded chicken.  I mean, have you ever noticed how much smaller their heads are than their bodies?
I went back inside, then out on the lanai.  I shook the canister, filled with assorted bread crumbs and cat food and seeds and stale crackers.  Charlie came running - sprinting - around the house and across the grass.  Yay!  That is some entertainment, watching a rooster run.  I rewarded his efforts with a big handful.  Then I went to wake Ron to tell him the good news.

A hui hou.  Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.