Skip to main content

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me sunburned


Today was positively spectacular.  It was just how paradise is suppose to be.  I got up early to shop the Volcano Village farmers' market. If you don't get there by 7:30 or 8:00, a lot of the most ono grinds are sold out.  On my way, I stopped to drop off some trash and recycling at the transfer station.  That's how we do it here.  No garbage service.  Just chuck your smelly bags into the trunk of your car and off to the dump.  It's not bad really.  Regardless of which way you're headed, there's a transfer station on your way.  When I arrived at the Volcano station, I backed up to the dumpster as usual.  When I got out to open the back of the truck, I noticed a mommy kitty and two babies curled up on a rock nearby.  "Ah," I heard myself say out loud.  No matter.  They were the only ones who could hear me.  Mommy looked asleep, but I think she was watching me through squinted eyes, the way cats do.  I lifted two bags out of the truck and flung them into the giant rubbish receptacle.  Then, I fired up the truck and maneuvered it over to the recycling bins.  I got out, reached for the plastics and, as I turned around with the bag, there was mommy kitty, about three feet from me.  I put down my bag and tried to approach her, hand outstretch, whispering, "Hello, kitty kitty."  She quickly backed away, very skittish.  She was really pretty; light grey tabby striping with big, green eyes.  I looked over toward where I had seen her with the kittens and instead of just two, there were four adorable little fluff balls watching from a safe distance. I dropped off my recyclables, then made a little side trip to the Kilauea Store, where I purchased a bag of exorbitantly priced Little Friskies.  Then it was back to the dump to feed the kitties.  They were hungry!  The kittens are small, but look healthy and were big enough to chow down on the kibbles.  Mommy looked a little skinny, as you might imagine.  Tomorrow, I'll call a local group called Advocats to see if I can find someone who can catch them and either get them good homes or at least get them spayed/neutered.  Until then, I'll head up there every other day or so to make sure they get a little something to eat.  It's on my way to work and the gym, so why not?  Poor little babies. 
I spent about and hour and a half finishing up the the lawn mowing project I started yesterday. That was about an hour too long without sunscreen.  Youch!  My previously pasty shoulders got a little fried. Crawford, Hopps and I sat in the grass in the shade of the banana plants for awhile. Doc likes to lay under the carport on the driveway.  I think he likes the cool cement.  It was actually pretty hot for the pooches.   So after a short while, it was back inside to enjoy the blowing fans and to get a drink.  Tonight, Doc is out on the back lanai.  
The farmers' market was hoppin' this morning.  I blew my wad there; Kau coffee, sticky bun, home made tortillas, salsa, goat mozzarella, peppers, tomatoes, a bunch of fresh basil, salad mix and some kind of heavy rye bread with raisins and walnuts in it.  It's all good!  Considering the bounty, I think I exercised superhuman restraint!  Now if I could only muster the same will power when it comes to actually eating the stuff.
Yesterday, I harvested three nice zucchini from the garden and some nice, baby green beans.  After rustling through the leaves to pick the beans, I notice a nice rash had broken out on the insides of my forearms.  They were covered with little red hives that itched like mad.  I guess I'm allergic to bean leaves.  
A hui hou.  Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.