Skip to main content

Be gone, oh vile virus

I have a cold. I don't like being sick. I've been bragging lately, mostly to myself, that I have not had so much as a sniffle in close to three years. Look at me, the picture of health. Well, all good things come to an end. A bug has infiltrated and I am not happy about it at all. I know exactly where I got it. The woman sitting next to me from Phoenix to Honolulu had some obvious congestion. She was where I was yesterday. I enjoyed chatting with her, actually. She was a marketing executive for the Princeville Resort on Kaua'i. She told me they will be closing for seven months to remodel the place, which is spectacular if a bit over the top with victorian glitze. She said they're going for a more understated form of elegance, reflective of their Hawaii location. That location is probably the best in all the islands. The place could be a total dump and command great prices just for the view. We talked story, then went our separate ways within our limited seating space, napping, reading and watching the in-flight movie. Through it all I heard sniffs and little coughs. The incubation period for a cold is just a couple of days, so it doesn't take a math genius to figure out that she was the one. That's what happens when you've got the window seat. You are at the mercy of the aisle sitter to pass you your beverage. She did so, more than once, along with a few billion of the germs she had been incubating for the past few days. How rude!

So yesterday and today have been a total waste. No gym, no long walks, no jaunts to town. Just vegging, hacking, clogged misery. I hate colds. Ah, but it could be worse. It could be the flu or a sinus infection or shingles or SARS or Ebola or cholera or small pox. OK, I guess I'm being a little melodramatic. But really, it could be worse.
The good news is that it's been raining for the past four days. So I'm not cooped up while the sun is blazing. It's just raining, so there's no real harm is sacking out on the couch to watch old movies or the History Channel.

I received an official, snail mail letter from the University of Alaska yesterday telling me than I have, in fact, been accepted to their program. I was so excited to finally receive it that I fired off a copy of my story - the one that got me in - to the New Yorker to see if they might be interested in publishing it. I know, that's pretty pie-in-the-sky. But the worst they can say is no, which leaves me no worse off than I am now. Nowadays, it's as easy as cut, paste and send, so why the h-e-double toothpicks not?

The photo above is that of my dad's luminaria in Gunnison. they did a great job decorating it with his name. He was in good company with plenty of good people remembered that night and plenty more walking the track to pay tribute to them.
I've also included here for your viewing pleasure a nice scenic shot I took of the Anthracite Range and Carbon Peak looking up the Ohio Creek Valley in Gunnison County, Colorado. This pretty mule posed nicely in the pasture behind the cabin for me, then proceeded to insist that I pet her nose. It's she sweet? And finally, a shot of this famous Colorado landmark: the Coney Island Boardwalk hot dog stand. For decades, it was located in the hamlet of Aspen Park, right on State Highway 285. Then, they lost their lease, the land sold to a bank. People were outraged. Worse, they were heartbroken at the prospect of losing this slice of Americana, tacky as it is. Luckily, owners found a new location, just up the highway a piece. It's not quite so visible as it once was, tucked away against a hillside and requiring a hard left off the highway as you drive south, then crossing a small bridge crossing over the mighty Platte River. Still, folks like me manage to find the place. The dogs there are tasty! I like 'em with the works!
I am now back in the rainforest, glad for the effects of the warm humidity on my upper respiratory system.

This morning, while dozing through The View, a loud whack startled me awake. A cardinal had flown full speed into the window. I looked out the see her on her back, legs twitching. I rushed out. She was still alive, so I grabbed a towel, then picked her up and placed her gently upright on a soft perch. Then I left her alone, hoping beyond hope that she was just badly dazed and that once her head cleared, she would fly away. Actually, I put her in a place where I could keep an eye on her through the window, making sure no kitties got the wrong idea. Sure enough, when I went out to check on her, she looked at me and wiggled a bit, then off she flew. Her flight path was a little crooked, but she made it to the grove of trees across the yard. Yay!

A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.