Skip to main content

Tanks a lot

Adventure schmenture. I think I shall now make it my goal to one day live someplace where I don't have to rely on a pump, a well or a tank for my water supply. At least, those items won't be in my own yard and won't be my responsibility. Instead, I'd like to tap into some municipal water supply. It would be great. I could just turn on the kitchen spigot and viola! Water would come out, like magic. I could also drink said water. It would be officially potable. Oh sure, I'd still be willing to conserve with low flow toilets and shower heads, water-stingy washer, odd-even day lawn watering in the summer. I'd even be willing to continue with the mantra, "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down." That's a bit of what we've been doing lately, since it hasn't rained in a little over two weeks. Check that. It hadn't rained. It's raining now. Ron noticed, however, that despite the precipitation, no water was going into the tank. He had climbed the ladder against our giant water catchment tank in the rain and peered over the side, expecting to see water running into our heretofore rapidly diminishing water supply. The tank was down to about a third full. He looked in, but saw no water running, or even dripping from the pipe leading into the tank. After searching all the pipe joints and ripping away overgrown weeds from around the pipes coming off the roof and slithering across the yard, we found the reason. One of those critical pipes was, as they say around these parts, all bus' up. It had a big slit that was gushing water. The very water that was suppose to be going into the tank was instead spewing like a fountain and landing in the grass. Luckily, we were able to make a temporary fix for tonight. We'll get a new pipe tomorrow.
So now it's raining and the good news is that I can probably abandon my plan to hit the Laundromat this weekend. The tank will fill up fast if the rain comes as usual. Water shortage averted by mother nature.
And so it goes here in the rainforest. Tomorrow's another day at the wine factory.
A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

Small town observations

Every day at noon, a siren blares from atop the city government building in Gunnison. Each time I hear it, I want to shout, “Yabba dabba doo!” even though it’s nowhere near happy hour. I’ve blurted this once or twice, only to elicit blank stares in response. Am I that old? Doesn’t anyone remember the The Flintstones? I hear that horn and imagine Fred sliding down the long neck of his gravel-quarry dino-dozer (which, thanks to Jurassic Park and the miracle of Google we all recognize now as riojasaurus). Quitting time! Fred flees, his fleet feet slapping toward a rack o’ ribs and a night of good times with Wilma, Barney, Betty and Dino. That’s Dino the dino, pronounced Deeno the dyno. Think that’s delusional? Another day, walking downtown near the source of the noontime wale, it struck me, a revelation it was, that the ramp up to full blast sounds just like the introduction to Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, only this is a mega-air-raid, civil-defense siren solo rather than a clarinet, whic