Skip to main content

Feets don't fail me now

"Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything's right...." Paolo Nutini - Lyrics from "New Shoes."

The other day, as I lumbered along the belt of the treadmill with my iPod cranked for musical inspiration, it occurred to me that I was probably the only person in the gym who was listening to Alison Krauss through my earbuds. (Never mind the fact that I was the only person in the gym just then.) I also thought it likely that I was the only person on the whole island listening to Alison. Maybe I was the only person in all of Hawaii.
That same experience happened to me today. This time, the artist was Roger Miller. Hey, King of the Road is a good song and fits in nicely with my folk/country/bluegrass playlist. DON"T MAKE FUN OF ME! Roger Miller was a genius! Trailers for sale or rent, rooms to let - fifty cents..... Or how about the classic, You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd? You've gotta admit that's original. And then there's that timeless lyric from Dang Me: Roses're red and violets're purple, sugar's sweet and so is maple surple.... See? Genius!

I got some new shoes today. They came in the mail. They really are beautiful: New Balance 882, made in the U.S. with a last that actually fits my foot. My orthotics fit inside perfectly. Cool reflectors, huh? They came with brand new socks, also in my size. That may not seem like much, but for me, getting high performance socks to fit my stubs is no small feet. (I know. I'm a heel. Arch enemy number one. Toe-tally corny. At least I'm instep with the times....OK. I'll stop.) My new Champion jog bras arrived today too. They are also made in the U.S.A. Finding stuff made in America is no small feat either, considering the fact that we make so little anymore.
It really doesn't take much to make me happy. For some women, it's diamonds, fancy cars, clothes. For me it's nice running shoes with comfy socks and shimmy-free jogging.

A couple of weeks ago, I struck up conversation with the guy who was remodeling the bathroom at the gym. The Kilauea Military Camp fitness center is located in an historic structure. Great pains have been taken along it's pathway to revitalization to preserve the historic integrity of the building, which is little more than a large shed.The guy was debating on whether or not to paint the ceiling a different color than the walls. He had brushed a bit of it with some sky blue. "What do you think?" he asked me.
I said, "Go for it. I think the contrast with the beige looks nice." He liked that answer and smiled.
Last week, I noticed a new guy working on the bathroom. It seemed not much had been accomplished since I'd spoken to the last guy. He was, however, honoring the decision of his predecessor to paint the ceiling blue.
"He had an accident," explained the new guy. Apparently, the pleasant fellow I'd spoken too had fallen off a cliff while fishing. He was plucked from the surf by rescue swimmers, lifted into a Helicopter and whisked off to a Honolulu Hospital. Poor guy. I understand his injuries were severe. He had been in the hospital for two weeks with lots of broken bones. New guy said that the injured man was just 15 months away from retiring. Suddenly my day seemed fantastic. I told new guy that after hearing that, I would not complain for the rest of the day and maybe even the rest of the week. He laughed and nodded in agreement. It's amazing what a little contrast can do to help you put things into perspective.
Hopps has a new hobby. She's always liked my socks and has long made good fun for herself carrying them around the house, giving them new homes. Lately, however, she's actually chewed holes in a few. Yesterday, I found one of a pair of fuzzy, periwinkle-colored slipper-socks. She had eaten the toe completely. HOPPSY! I assume she ate it because I never found the missing hunk o' sock. I won't be surprised to find a pile of periwinkle, fuzzy poo outside somewhere. Here she is with the mate to that sock. I figure since it's no longer a matched set, she might as well have her fun.
I am now more careful with where I leave them. I can't really get mad at her. She looks so cute when she carries them around. And she's so funny and smart all the time that you've just gotta love her. The little rascal!

I would never describe the temperature here as cold. My neighbors would. I see them walking around with heavy coats. Some even wear gloves and hats. I would say, however, that's it's been a little cool the past few days. Last night as I walked to the car from work up in Volcano (4000 feet elevation) I got all kine chicken skin. My arms sprouted goose bumps. I even shivered just a tad. It dipped into the 40s up there last night and probably the 50s here where we're perched at 2500 feet. Tonight, we've got a fire in the wood stove to take the edge off the chill. I may have to break down and put on some long pants. I ask you, why the hell live in Hawaii if you have to wear long pants? It's just a question really, not a complaint. After all, I have not fallen off any sea cliffs lately so have nothing to whine about.
Lucy really wants to play with the pen on the desk right now, so I've gotta go. Note that the photo shows this very blog on the computer screen behind her. Like I said. Gotta go. Lucy rules!
A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Small town observations

Every day at noon, a siren blares from atop the city government building in Gunnison. Each time I hear it, I want to shout, “Yabba dabba doo!” even though it’s nowhere near happy hour. I’ve blurted this once or twice, only to elicit blank stares in response. Am I that old? Doesn’t anyone remember the The Flintstones? I hear that horn and imagine Fred sliding down the long neck of his gravel-quarry dino-dozer (which, thanks to Jurassic Park and the miracle of Google we all recognize now as riojasaurus). Quitting time! Fred flees, his fleet feet slapping toward a rack o’ ribs and a night of good times with Wilma, Barney, Betty and Dino. That’s Dino the dino, pronounced Deeno the dyno. Think that’s delusional? Another day, walking downtown near the source of the noontime wale, it struck me, a revelation it was, that the ramp up to full blast sounds just like the introduction to Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, only this is a mega-air-raid, civil-defense siren solo rather than a clarinet, whic