Skip to main content

Test day

Today was the big day; The Law School Admissions Test. I don't feel particularly good about it. It was intense. And when I finally returned home from my day in the exam room, I was thoroughly exhausted.
Immediately after the test, I bopped on down to the Hilo Farmers' Market for some sustenance; namely, two musubis and a Thai noodle bento. There are no picnic tables at the Hilo Market, so I perched my okole atop a very low, rock wall facing the bayfront sidewalk. There, I munched, sipped lilikoi-aide and watched people as they strolled by. It occurred to me then that there are lots of people on earth (or at least strolling through downtown Hilo) who have very ugly feet. I must say that there are times when a stroll through Hilo Town makes Venice Beach in California seem like a bastion of normalcy. I saw one chubby young tattooed woman in a spaghetti strapped sundress wearing Uggs. Uggs are tall, fur-lined snow boots worn mostly as apres ski apparel. But there she was. Granted, the weather was a little drizzly. But it was about 82 degrees. Her feet had to be sweltering.
At one point I saw a haole couple approaching. The woman was wearing a full-length house dress, circa 1890, with ruffles around the high neck and long sleeves. It was plaid. She also sported a white bonnet that looked more like it belonged on a matron from Little House on the Prairie than here. Her bearded husband wore a beige smock with a round collar and long hem. It hung down over white trousers. He wore white tennies with velcro closures. But he had removed the Velcro straps that stretch across the arch, leaving a wide space through which you could see his white socks. Just my luck, they chose to sit down beside me.
"It's hard to believe he's gone," said the woman to the man. I made the mistake of looking up. She and I made eye contact. She told me they had frequented a booth at the market and had befriended the man who sold produce there. They had just learned that he recently had a massive heart attack and died.
"We just saw him. How he's gone," she said.
I briefly related my similar experience with my coffee guy down the highway.
I continued to eat and they continued to chat with one another. When I got up, I said, "Sorry about your friend." She replied, "Sorry about yours." They were nice. They sounded like normal people. And yet, there were those outfits. Yes, they were definitely outfits.
Prior to parking my derriere, I had strolled along that very sidewalk. At one point along the way, a baby bottle made a thud and rolled in front of me. I bent to pick it up and return it to the baby to which it belonged. She was adorable, sitting in a stroller beside her mom. The young Hawaiian mom looked at me and grinned, saying, "Tanks!" Mom was cute too, except for the unsettling fact that her two front teeth were completes rotted out. Only black stubs remained.
After finishing my lunch, I walked around the corner looking for a rubbish can in which to drop my napkins and empty cup. Just before I found one, it began to pour. The can lid, and my hands, were wet. So as I grabbed it, it slipped and flipped onto the sidewalk. "Shoot," I said, out loud to no one, scrambling to reach for it to put it back on the can. I heard a man chuckle. I looked up and there he was, standing on the sidewalk smiling. He was an older, Japanese gentleman, wearing a crisp tan shirt and looking quite distinguished with silver hair. "Slippery huh?" he said.
"Yep," I replied. He made me smile. We both held our hands up to the sky to acknowledge the rain.
Back to the LSAT. I was the oldest test taker by at least 20 years. Still, I enjoyed talking story with the youngsters outside the testing room before the test and during the break. They were witty, smart and full of ambition, weighing options, pursuing dreams and planning their futures. I found that inspiring. After all, I'm not dead yet. I still have a future. Why not dream? If my score comes back as pathetically low as I suspect it will, I may just take the test again in February. I won't know for three weeks. Meanwhile, I'll practice my ukulele and pick up extra shifts at the winery. And tonight, I'll finish this glass of wine and hit the hay.
A hui hou. Aloha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit