Skip to main content

Homesick

Ron loves this place. That's ironic really, since we really never go anywhere or do anything. We eat out ever-so-occasionally. We never go to the beach. We never go hiking, even though we have a national park 12 miles from our house. We hang out here, in the rain, day after day. So I guess when he says he loves it here, he means literally here. This very spot. We take trips to town to make exciting purchases like a new tarp for the car port or a pressure washer to blast mold and algae off the driveway. Yesterday, we had to fix a leak under the kitchen sink, so we ventured all the way to Ace in Kea'au for pipes, tools and other assorted parts. Tools are a big need for us here. They have all been what Alton Brown of Food Network fame would call unitaskers. On this trip, we bought a tool designed to unscrew the place that goes over the big washer at the base of the sink. When we first moved here, we bought a wrench designed exclusively for removing the filter on our water pump. That's all it does. I will say, it beats banging on the edge of the filter canister with a hammer and a stick, which is what the previous owner used.
Yesterday I set a personal speed record on the treadmill. I ran the first four miles in 45 minutes. I made it five in just 56 minutes, 28 seconds. I'll probably never do that again. But it was satisfying. They've added a a couple of leg machines at the gym. That's exciting. Hmmmm... I think I need something better to do.
I've been spending a lot of time online, looking at real estate. Not in Hawaii, mind you, but everywhere else. I think I'm homesick for the mountains. I also think all this rain is having a detrimental effect on my psyche. Ron says we should be glad we have so much water, what with the rest of the world experiencing perpetual drought. I'm not sure if he loves it here as much as he claims, or just loves the romantic idea of living in Hawaii. I know he loves telling people on the phone how great it is here. He rarely elaborates on the weather. Just mentions the temperature and lets them conjure up images of white sandy beaches, swaying palms, azure skies with white puffy clouds. I never hear him use words like "mud" or "mold."
One disappointing thing is how many people are moving here. I guess I'm one of them, so I really shouldn't complain. But I will anyway. The Puna district is experiencing the fastest growth in the islands, because it's where you can still find reasonably priced land and homes. So the traffic is getting worse by the day.
I've decided I will give this place another couple of years and if we both truly love it by then, we'll stay. Right now, for me at least, the jury's still out.
Cheery blog entry, yeah?
A hui hou. Aloha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.