Skip to main content

Rain in the rainforest. Go figure.

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head..... but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red. Cryin's not for me... cuz.... I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'......

Ah but if I could, just by complainin', I would. On Sunday, with the water coming down, I had to get out and about. So I went to the Maku'u Farmers' Market. The place was packed. There was actually a traffic jam of people trying to get in and out of the parking lot from the highway. When I asked the juice lady what was up, she just replied, "This is what happens when it's been raining for two weeks straight and then there's a break in the weather. Everyone just has to get out." Indeed.
I picked up papayas and bananas at the market, then found my way to a new pet supply place in Hawaiian Paradise Park. How's that for a corny community name? They call it HPP for short. There is also an area called Hawaiian Beaches, Hawaiian Acres.... pretty imaginative, eh? The worst is Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, a.k.a. H.O.V.E. It's a nice area if you like shacks on lava. Anyway, this woman has started a small pet supply business because there's isn't one in lower Puna. People with pets there have to drive all the way to Hilo to buy quality food, etc. I think she has a chance. Her name is Laurie and she is certainly nice and personable. She's hoping to entice a groomer and a holistic veterinarian to share the space with her.
How 'bout those Oscars, eh? Folks are already saying that the reason Eddie Murphy did not win for Dreamgirls was because he's black and he's a comedian. Huh? Forest Whitaker's black. Denzel Washington's black. Hallie Barry is black. Sidney Poitier is black. They've all won Oscars. No, none of them are comedians. But Robin Williams is a comedian. Jamie Foxx is a comedian and a musician and he's black. I know Eddie Murphy was fabulous is the movie and I think he's one of the most talented people on this planet and deserves to win an award (and he did - a Golden Globe). But Alan Arkin was at least equally fabulous in a much less glamorous but no less excellent film. So there are my two cents worth....
I think today may be the day to start my great American novel. But first, I need to spend a little time at the gym.
A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.