Skip to main content

Buns of steel? Not!

More like buns of blubber!
I started swinging a tennis racquet on Monday and running around a court again like a maniac. An old, fat maniac, but a maniac none-the-less. It was WAY fun. I really do love hitting tennis balls. I'm taking drill classes on Mondays and Thursdays. I happened upon a flyer posted to a downtown bulletin board advertising classes for kids, so I called the instructor on the off chance he might have something for adults. Voila! It's been a long while since I played regularly, so I peter out pretty fast. My butt is killing me! I haven't moved laterally like that in awhile. My butt and my shoulder and my forearm and hand from gripping the racquet - they're all letting me know they are alive and well but extremely sore for the moment. The pain should subside in a few weeks. And even if it doesn't, I don't really care. It's a blast. I'll just power down the Aspirin and keep on playing.
It rained pretty hard last night and continued throughout the the morning. It's dry for the moment but the clouds are ominous and dark, threatening to dump. The water tank has been replenished from above, so I took an extra long shower this afternoon. The days have been relatively dry for the last week, so I was able to clear a pretty large patch of ground. I also began to develop the same look that both my grandfathers used to sport. They each worked outside; Grandpa Todd was a ranch hand. Grandpa Steinberger was a farmer turned carpenter. Both had perpetually brown faces with white foreheads. They always wore hats.
Unfortunately the weather pattern seems to have shifted and I think we're in for another wet spell. Hopefully it won't be as wet as last February and March, a time during which I expected to see Noah and his gang of furry friends floating by the house at any time.
I found this orchid in my yard this week. Amazing, huh? It's in a pot along with a group of anthurium, near the catchment tank. I might never have noticed it without this bloom. The hibiscus (pictured on the left) gave us a flower yesterday, too. It's got several more buds just about ready to burst open. That should be pretty.
Mr. Sox's eye condition has not gotten any better. So, I have resumed his medication. He will no longer eat it mixed with food, so I have to grab him up and inject the liquid down his throat. It's tuna flavored, but still an unpleasant experience for him overall. He hates it, and he hates me for at least a few hours after each dose. He has become very wary of my approach, so I have to vary the time and location a little with each grab. It's usually unpleasant for me too, as I am bearing the scars of scratches from each administration of the medicine. We'll keep this up until the antibiotics are gone. That means my bloodletting will continue for at least another several days. If this doesn't help him kick this infection, I'll probably have to admit him to the kitty hospital for treatment. Poor guy. He really is a big sweetie. A little ornery, but a sweetie.
Abner no longer takes any shit from him, so he (Mr. Sox - seen here) is backing off a bit when it comes to terrorizing the new guy. In fact, the other day, Mr. Sox went after Hopps in the middle of the yard for no good reason other than that he felt like it. Abner didn't like that, and proceeded to chase Sox across the yard all the way back the he house. Abner was protecting his doggy sister. Pretty cool, huh?
Somewhat amazing too, considering that Mr. Sox outweighs Abby (perched on the table here next to the cat treats and my ukulele) by nearly five pounds. That may not sound like much until you consider that five pounds is almost half of Abner's entire body weight. They actually are getting along pretty well for the most part, with the exception of an occasional growl or hiss.
It's pouring again. Bummahs! Time to go. A hui hou. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.