Skip to main content

Novelty wearing off?

I am beginning to feel my normally cheery self slipping away. The rain is beginning to get to me. I expected it to rain here. I did. I thought I was fully prepared.

I also vowed to give this place a fair chance. But it has now been nearly five months, and it is still raining. Except for the first week I was here and fewer than a handful of days that were partly sunny, it's rained. Shoot, even Lewis and Clark knew, when they were holed up at Fort Clatsop enduring the longest, wettest winter of their lives, that Spring would come eventually. Here on the east side of Hawaii Island, I am not so sure. Now, I've always thought of myself as someone who loves the rain. I love the way it seems to freshen the world. I grew up in a place that gets plenty most years. But there's a far cry from 40 or 50 or 60 inches a year and 140 plus inches. Here, we never get that "just after a good rain" smell. That's because it's always raining, so there's no basis for comparison. If it rains here all summer and I lose my summer by having moved to Hawaii (what irony, huh?) then I will have to seriously reconsider my location. Moving to the other side of the island is out of the questions since the cost of housing there is way out of our price range.
I think the worst thing about it is, on those rare days when the sun does peak through the omnipresent cloud cover, we feel compelled to work around the yard rather than go to the beach or the park. So we never really get to enjoy where we are. And if that's just the way it is, why be here? I might enjoy it more if I simply came here for vacation once or twice a year.
I'm even getting sick of the music they play on the local all Hawaiian radio stations. Some of it is really exceptional. There are local artists here who are talented, for sure. But the really good stuff is played sparingly, in between hours of Jawaiian, Paniolo and incredibly cheasy pop tunes. Where the hell is Jawaii, anyway? Jawaiian is just local artists playing raggae music with a Hawaiian slant. And that slant is slight, to be sure. They even sing with a Jamaican accent, (Yeah, mon)which is weird, since they have their own island accent that sounds nothing like the Caribbean. Paniolo, or cowboy music, is Hawaiian country & western. Oddly, it too is sung with a bit of a southern twang. Neither are done particularly well. Then there are those really corny local pop songs like "Big Island Ladies." The chorus goes like this: "I like those B-I-G Island ladies (Big Island ladies)Those sexy body girls they drive me crazy (they drive me crazy)..." That is probably the most requested song around her right now. Or "Your body's just like a Chevy...." Ron likes to sing along to that one with me in the car. They also play a lot of cover tunes performed by island artists. Some are good. Not all. It's about 80 percent bubblegum crap that's all been done before, better. The 20 percent that's good, however, is really good.
If it rains tomorrow, I will have no choice but to jump in the car and drive to the sun. The vitamin D supplements aren't quite cuttin' it. I think I'm beginning to experience the early onset of rickets. Aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.