Skip to main content

Observations from the road


Hopps and Crawford say Alo-o-o-ha!

People are really into bumper stickers and decals for cars here on the Big Island. I saw another funny one today. It said, "Horn broken. Watch for finger."
On the mainland bumper stickers are popular too. The messages run the gamut, to be sure. But here, drivers sport memorial decals. I've never seen them before. I will admit that I've lived life a bit sheltered from big city trends for the past several years. Still, if these were a hot new thing in Colorado, I'm sure I'd have seen at least one car wearing one as it passed through Gunnison. Anyway, these tributes to a lost loved one are usually white, in the back windshield and say something like "In loving memory of James Keoki Chang" in flowery lettering. There's usually a cross or angel to complete the presentation. It seems a bit morbid to carry around the sadness of loss everywhere you go. Maybe its a cultural thing and I just don't get it. That's probably the case.
I've finally completed my first podcast! If you are painfully bored and need to fill about 18 minutes of your time, check it out. You can access it through iTunes. Just click on the podcast directory, then enter Hawaiian Rainforest in the search window. You can subscribe if you'd like. If you don't have iTunes loaded onto your computer, go to www.podcast.net and enter Hawaiian Rainforest in the title search. Both methods are free! And worth every penny if I don't say so myself. It's my first episode and maybe a bit dull. The music's good, though and I hope, with practice, the episodes will get more funny and entertaining. I'm going to try to produce one every week or two.
It's been raining so incessantly that I decided its time to join the gym. Spencer's in downtown Hilo is a pretty big place, with tons of cardio machines, lots of cool weight machines, free weights and best of all, great people watching. There are definitely some buff boys and girls in there, for sure. There are also plenty of people like me; average joes and josephines just trying to stay one step (instead of a thousand steps) behind the effects of gravity with age. I must say that, working out in the warm, humidity of Hilo feels so easy compared to the dry, cold air of Gunnison. No real warm up is required here. The muscles are already loose and ready to go. Lots of water is important, however, as the sweat begins to pour immediately.
I see that my old hometown, Los Angeles, got some snow yesterday! Wow! That is an anomaly. It happened once in the 10 years I lived there, the year I graduated from CSUN, 1989. It just lasted one day but it had the city in a tizzy to say the least. The palm trees were not happy but they were pretty. It was cool to see kids on the news, sliding down hillsides on platters, having a ball. Some forms of fun are universal.
Well, I'm off to gather more fodder for my next posting here, and my next podcast. Until next time, aloha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born and bred

The creature stared at me, wide-eyed through the florescent glare, Saran Wrap stretched tight across its broad back. Alone in the seafood cooler, he was the only one of his kind, there among the farmed, color-added Atlantic salmon and mud-flavored tilapia, perched on a blue foam tray, legs tucked 'round him like a comfy kitten. He didn't blink. He was dead, red, cooked and chilled, ready to eat. Such a find is rare in the City Market fish department in Gunnison, Colorado. What if nobody takes him home? I thought. This beautiful animal will have died needlessly, ripped from his home, family and friends (Dory, Nemo, Crush and Gill?) only to be tossed in the trash when his expiration date came and went. I lifted him for closer inspection, checked that date, felt the heft of him, scanned his surface for cracks and blemishes. The creature was perfect. I lowered him back into the cooler, nodded farewell, turned to walk away, took one step, and stopped. Shoppers strolled past, stud

Fruity booty

It was a long drive from Glenwood to the northern tip of the island -- three hours -- so for sustenance, we stopped at Baker Tom's for malasadas on the way. My pal Kathy and I were headed to Kapa'au for a hike, one we'd read about in the local newspaper. The couple who run Baker Tom's (not sure if the husband is actually Tom or not) are delightful, with enduring stamina. They're as old as radio, yet they're always on duty, ready to serve behind the counter, as they have for many years, frying, baking, brewing and smiling, there in Papaikou , gateway to the Hamakua Coast. The malasadas are enormous, cheap and delicious, the coffee OK, the tourists all happy to have discovered this place, buzzing with sugar and caffeine. They make a killer pumpkin cheesecake at Baker Tom's, too. It's always a pleasant stop. Ahapua'a . It's a Hawaiian land division, usually a strip or wedge, stretching from mountain to sea. Hawaiians lived in villages wit

On Tennis and Writing and Being Too Nice

I've recently been recruited to play tennis for a local 4.0 ladies tennis league team, referred to as either "Team Debbie" for the nice woman who manages us, or "Have Fun," which is our pre-match chant. We're still looking for a proper name. But we do have fun, despite getting creamed most outings. Last Saturday, we played in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium in Hilo. Good thing, too, since outside it was pouring, complete with thunder and lightning. It's a substantial structure, covered, yet open all around, most famous for hosting the annual Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in April. It was about 85 degrees outside and 100 percent humidity, air so thick it took three sucks of my albuterol inhaler just to breath. Several of us arrived early to warm up, but after twenty minutes' steady rallying with my teammate, Keiko, the human backboard, I was drenched. I played doubles with a nice, extremely fit and excellent ground-stroker named Cynthia from Pahoa.